Membership: The ethos of our club is to operate the aircraft in a safe and affordable way.
Please note, we are currently not taking on new student members, we are operating a waiting list. If you would like to be added to our waiting list please let us know. We are not offering Introductory flights at the moment.
We are accepting membership applications from pilots who already hold a LAPL, PPL, CPL, ATPL or MPL.
As a first step we recommend chatting to one of our committee members. This will give you an insight into the club. Next, you may wish to take an introductory flight, for full details click here.
Then, to begin the formal process of joining, you will be asked to fill in an application form and pay the joining fee. Applications will be reviewed by the committee and we would expect to have confirmation of your membership very quickly.
Upon acceptance as a member, you will be asked to upload copies of your licence, ratings and medical, if applicable, as well as documents to confirm your identity. You will be provided with access to our online booking platform, aircraftclubs.com, and directed towards one of our Flight Instructors.
Then, the sky is the limit!
- Joining fee: the cost of actually joining the club is €500. This is a non refundable once-off fee which is a contribution to the capital cost of the aircraft. Included in this payment is a fee of €1.27 which buys you a share in the club.
- Monthly fee: there is a monthly fee of €65 that is payable by direct debit. This monthly fee covers the fixed costs of the club which include hangarage, insurance, office rental, administrative costs and maintenance costs. We do review the fee from time to time but we endeavour to keep it as low as possible.
- Hourly rate: the hourly flying rate is €145 per hour, and it covers the direct costs of operating the aircraft such as fuel and oil. This is real time hour, from engine start to engine stop. Members are expected to pay for their flying after each flight. Our instructors are all volunteers and do not receive remuneration for their time.
- Landing fees: these fees are charged by Weston Airport to the club and billed directly to members. At other airfields members are responsible for paying their landing fees directly.
When considering starting flying you should be aware of some other hidden costs, such as:
- IAA Class 2 medical: (which requires renewal at different intervals depending on age, for under 40s this is every 5 years, reducing to two years until 50, then annually thereafter). Here is a list of authorised IAA Aeromedical examiners.
- Ground school tuition: You will be required to complete a course of ground school tuition in order to be allowed sit the PPL written exams. At present this is completed with a third party provider.
- Equipment: You will need to acquire some equipment, such as a Visual Flight Rules chart, pens, plotters and a kneeboard. Some members choose to buy their own headset, but the club does provide shared headsets for use.
- Flight test fee: this a fee paid directly to the examiner when conducting your Skills Test.
- IAA licence issue fee: This is a fee paid directly to the IAA when applying for your licence.
How much might a Private Pilot’s Licence cost?
The time and cost to complete the PPL in Ireland depends on numerous factors. These include your own availability and weather conditions. Here is an example of costs you could expect when completing your PPL with us:
- Joining fee: €500
- 24 months membership: €1560
- 45 hours flying: €6525
- Groundschool: €1000 (example figure, subject to third party provider fee)
Total cost: €9585
Please feel free to get in touch with us to discuss obtaining your PPL.
Please note, at the present time we are not taking on new student pilot members. If you would like to be added to our waiting list please get in touch. We are not offering introductory flights at present.